Thursday, March 3, 2011

DIY: Spindle Box

Since I love all the great things about the Montessori method but don’t have the available money to pay the high prices, I decided to “try” to make my own.

Here is my attempt to do our own Spindle box; tiny like my toddler. The price is around $25-30, more or a bit less…..but to me is still too much!

Marlee 31-32 mo 192

What do we need?

  1. An ice stick tray (got 2 for $1 at Dollar tree)
  2. Circle shape stickers (got them for $1 and have more for other activities) to write the numbers.
  3. A package of bamboo skewers…those to do Kabobs (had the package already of 100). I took the measure of the ice tray and cut them to fix in each compartment. Since I included number 10, I needed 55 “spindles”.
  4. A ready to learn toddler!

The best thing is that we had lots of fun with just $2….and still have another tray and more sticks to try a variation or do another activity.

To know about how to work with it, here is a great explanation and here!

I know it says for 4 years and older (and I am not a teacher or Montessori method expert) but my daughter is so into numbers, sequence, counting and quantities; therefore, I decided to give it a try. I didn’t started with number 0 since this aspect I think is still a little bit complicated for her to understand.

Pinky was able to complete the activity and was so proud of herself at the end. That is my priceless moment!

 Marlee 31-32 mo 184 Marlee 31-32 mo 182 Marlee 31-32 mo 188 That’s her “I did it” dance!!!

What a great day!

Linking to:

[collaboration+label]

2 comments:

Teaching Heart Mom said...

Love this idea and love you got it all at the dollar store.

Elle Belles Bows said...

I was just catching up on blogging while hubby and little one went to bed. I saw this in your previous post and was getting ready to ask you where you got it! LOVE that you made it! GREAT idea!! Thanks for sharing it! Kerri

Post a Comment

Muchas gracias! Pinky-ou for leaving a comment! It sure makes our day...

Template by:
Free Blog Templates