Everyday, after her traditional preschool classes, Pinky comes home to “learn” more. Yes! This little girl loves to learn. (Of course, she plays, too!)
This week we have been using our Phonetic Boxes, which are getting FULL! Here’s an example of 3 of our boxes and what’s inside them:
Wipes Box plus small objects and toys around the house.
Objects:
- X: xylophone (I made it with a craft stick, toothpicks and beads) X-rays (skeleton sticker),
- Z: zipper, zebra, zero, zig-zag (pinecleaner),
- K: kaleidoscope, knife (a mistake when you’re teaching NOT your first language…this is NOT good for phonics so it’s OUT of our box), kettle (eraser), kite (I made it with toothpicks, felt and a ribbon), koala (eraser), key
- V: van, vulture
- Y: yellow (eraser), yarn, yo-yo (it’s include it now)
Objects:
- O: octagon (felt) otter, ostrich, ox, olive, orange (included now),
- C: castle, cow, car (eraser), cake (eraser), cup (eraser), crab, camel, cabbage (eraser), cat, crayon,
- H: horse, helicopter (eraser), heart, happy face, hand, hippopotamus, hotdog (eraser, included now), hamburger (eraser, included now),
- P: peanut (eraser), pencil, polar bear, puppy, pacifier, pin, penny,
Objects:
- S: seal, shoe (I just took it out since it was hard for her…ok, I know…mommy has to learn more English lol), spoon, spider (it’s black, that’s why you can’t see it), shark (another hard one), seahorse, starfish, seal
- M: monkeys, man, mushroom, motorcycle (eraser), manta ray, mat (it’s black), microscope
- T: truck (eraser), tiger, tomato (eraser), turtle, tree
- A: airplane(eraser, I know this is NOT for a short sound but she knows it starts with A and wanted to included in the box), apple, alligator, ambulance (eraser)
Here’s Pinky working very hard!!! lol….she’s just having fun and loving her beginning sound boxes!
Linking to:





















6 comments:
I love this idea.
I am so glad!!! Thanks for visiting!
Airamty,
You may have done this intentionally, so forgive my meddling if this is as planned. I noticed you are mixing your double-letter sounds into your single-letter bins. It looks like you are using the order of letter introduction from My Montessori Journey which would indicate to me that you are planning to go to Pink/Blue/Green scheme afterwards. In that case, it is okay to introduce only single letters and no doubles at first, but you still should not introduce words that start with a phonogram as if they are a single letter sound. Some examples are "orange" (I have this in my "or" sound bin) and shoe/shark ("sh" sound). You mentioned you knew about the "ai" in "airplane."
She will eventually learn the following sounds: ai, ee, ie, oa, ue, ar, er, or, oo, ou, oy, sh, ch, th qu. And they have their own sandpaper letters (green).
One would usually put something like "thorn" in with the "t" sounds, but teach it as the "th" sound.
I use the Dwyer method instead of pink/blue/green and in that case they learn the doubles along next to the singles instead of later. Either method is fine, it's just that both treat phonograms separately from single letter sounds.
Again, forgive me for meddling if you already thought about this and have a plan.
I got the letter Q up for you today!
@My boys' Teacher: THANKS so very much for all your help.....Oh my! I need to learn a lot ;)
Yes, I was trying to follow the Pink/Blue/Green scheme and after we were using our boxes I realized by a moment about some objects that Pinky was having problem classifying phonetically....like shoe and shark....thanks so much for taking your time and letting me know about the first and double sounds (and thanks for writing them in your comment). It will help me to classify them in other boxes so she won't get confused. Did I say Thanks??? Oh...also I am going right now to your blog and look for the letter Q info! Gracias!
De nada! Con mucho gusto.
I noticed a typo in my comment. I should have said "One would usually NOT put something like "thorn" in with the "t"sounds, but teach it as the "th" sound.
Post a Comment
Muchas gracias! Pinky-ou for leaving a comment! It sure makes our day...