Monday, January 14, 2013

Continent Box: Africa

Wao, it has been a long time since we started studying about Africa. With the holidays preparations, the ballet recital, our Christmas vacations to Canada and then the New Year’s cold, we didn’t have time to finish our African exploration. Here’s our last post about our Africa box.

However, better late than never! So, what’s in the box?

Christmas dec1 002

Africa lessons 072Africa lessons 075

The envelopes have the flags, landmarks, animals and instruments cards. Our Africa box is kind of full thanks to Daddy and….MOMMY, of course!!! lol

Goodies- souvenirs: Daddy brought these from his trip to South Africa.

Africa lessons 076

Wood spoons, Mandela’s quotes cards, Apartheid’s museum magnets and pens, necklaces, candles, keychains, Cape point’s magnet.

 

Landmarks cards

Africa lessons 028Africa lessons 029

I made a few Africa landmarks cards (has a picture on front and a description on back), Postal cards and magnets Daddy brought from his trip.

 

Currency

Africa lessons 077

Daddy brought some money making sure we’d have a representation of each one of the Big 5. We save it inside this beautiful Africa-shaped box.

 

Animals of Africa

Africa lessons 013Africa lessons 012

I made these cards to match our plastic figurines. We are still needing a representation of a Meerkat, hyena, gnu and African wild dog figurines. And I forgot to make a card for the Pelican and Warthog! If someone need the cards, for personal use ONLY, please!, here’s the link. Also, Montessori Tidbits has some animals cards for free.

Parts of an Elephant cards

Africa lessons 021Africa lessons 022

Here’s Pinky making sure her elephant figurine has all the correct parts…lol I made this Elephant cards (here’s the link but please just for your personal use and sorry they are NOT perfect). However,  Montessori Print Shop has beautiful ones plus a booklet.

Parts of a Flamingo cards

Africa lessons 027Africa lessons 025

She checked the flamingo, too! The flamingo cards are from Montessori Print Shop for free!

 

Books, games, puzzles, music Cd

Africa lessons 073Africa lessons 074

 

Instruments of Africa cards

Africa lessons 033

I made these cards to complete ones I found at Montessori Tidbits for FREE . Here’s the link (Please these are for your PERSONAL use!). Just a few instruments to compare/contrast the ones we know.

 

Math

Africa lessons 036

When Pinky was just a toddler, I made these cute Elephants out of a stencil and foam. We loved to sing the 10 elephants song balancing on a spider web, but in Spanish! Then, my mom came for vacation and made giraffes to join the elephants. Yesterday, we found them inside our Africa box. After singing the Elephants song (in Spanish, of course!), and Pinky improvised a giraffe version of the song Laughing out loud, we did some math practice. I love the moments when our brain lights up! jajajaja

Africa lessons 049Africa lessons 038Africa lessons 041

First, some addition! (the cards are from the Dollar store!) The number eight card is part of a few number cards I made with cardstock a while back! RE-CYCLING!!!

 

Africa lessons 057Africa lessons 061Africa lessons 069

Then, some subtraction!

Oh my!!! She is REALLY excellent!

Hard work pays off!!! Smile

Now that we are having a cold weather plus the flu season is picking up, I think that learning about our World is going to be lots of fun!!!

So, where are we going next???? Oops, wait, I still have to post about our art activities…..after all, Pinky is just 4 years old and to get messy is a must!

 

Linking to:

Montessori Monday

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So much fun! Love the continent box.

Thank you for sharing.

Mom said...

Nice continent box. I need to get to work on mine too.

Jen Benoit Tutor Doctor said...

Excellent box! Would love to do this, too, but we don't have as many things as you!

Airamty said...

Thanks so very much for taking your time and leave us a comment. Learning about our world never has been so fun with the Continent boxes idea. With patience, creativity and love is a keepsake that will last for ever!
@Jen: I just updated my post to share the cards we made, if you or someone else are interested.
Have fun!

Post a Comment

Muchas gracias! Pinky-ou for leaving a comment! It sure makes our day...

Template by:
Free Blog Templates