Monday, November 21, 2011

How do I teach my kid about emotions…

Teaching kids about emotions is one of the most important tools we can offer as parents, and one of the hardest. Emotions are needed to grow up as mature human beings, which will help to build a better community and world. Marlee 38-39 mo 020

But, how can we teach them what are they feeling at a certain situation? How can we select the perfect words to explain it? Are they really coping with us?

I think the best way is by role modeling and using child-like games, activities, songs, books and imagination.

With Pinky, we tried to name her emotions at the moment she’s having them. For example, if she is trying to cut a paper with scissors and is getting “frustrated” we tell her: Is Pinky getting “frustrated”? I know is kind of “frustrating” learning how to use the scissors but you can keep trying! Later on we talk again about the experience she just had.

Other times when we are reading books, we look at the pictures and I ask her how she thinks the character is feeling. As the kid gets older you can add questions as why do she thinks the character is feeling like that, how would she react? Usually she points to aspects of the picture like an smile, tears, red cheeks, etc. or she retell things that we read in the story.  

We also have games/activities:

  • Sorting different emotion pictures. You can print them out searching on Google pictures, clipart (I got the circle faces at Chilcare.com. The other ones, sorry but I can’t remember where I got them), or even better, make an album with your own kid’s emotion photos since he/she was a baby. Then, you can talk about how he/she grown up but his/her emotions still the same.

Marlee 38-39 mo 021Marlee 38-39 mo 017Marlee 38-39 mo 016

  • Mommy/baby pretending game with her dollies (this game is also great for imagination and a way to check is she is getting the information when she tells me that the baby is crying because got a bobo and she kisses her to make her feel better).
  • Our emotional carrot: it’s an activity I had on my mind for a quiet time already. I got a carrot inflatable toy at the dollar store (It was at Easter time) and draw different types of eyes and mouths to represent the emotions on a cereal box. Added velcro on the carrot and the cardboard. For younger kids you can add small emotions pictures for reference. You can make up stories and have her to put together the emotional face, have her to discover by herself or just as a tool for those tantrums moments when you will need to explain visually how are they feeling.

    Marlee 38-39 mo 032Marlee 38-39 mo 034Marlee 38-39 mo 035Marlee 38-39 mo 036Marlee 38-39 mo 029Marlee 38-39 mo 038

  • Use your camera as a learning tool: have a fun time with your kid making up emotions and having a picture taken. I wrote a post about this activity here.  

Marlee 30-31 mo 183

Emotions are important, don’t try to suppress them. It’s the worst way of dealing with them. This can make kids feel that expressing emotions is prohibited, which will lead to stress and emotional breakdown. You can read more here.

Take care and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Linking to:

Montessori Mondayabc buttonThe SUnday ShowcasePhotobucket

7 comments:

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

What cute and clever ways to teach emotions!! Love the emotional carrots =-) I am your newest follower! I'd love for you to follow me back, if you want to =-) I also wanted to invite you to come link up at TGIF Linky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties
Beth =-)

Deborah said...

Your little girl is so cute - what a sweet heart!! Thank you for sharing your blog today - I have added it to my reader so I can follow along!

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving! Thanks for linking up to TGIF & we'll see you next week! Don't forget to enter for a chance to Guest Post & Have your blog featured on my sidebar for the entire month of December - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2011/11/thank-you-want-to-guest-post.html
Beth =-)

Deb Chitwood said...

Wonderful activities for teaching about emotions! I love that you're so conscious about helping your daughter understand and express her feelings. Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

Debora said...

I find a good way is to let yourself be those emotions in front of your child and to let them see you work through it. Like when you are trying to do something and it's not working out, saying I'm frustrated (like anytime I try to sew), then you try again. Often parents don't model.

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

Thank you sooo much for sharing. My 2.5 yr old is having a hard time understanding her emotions right now (we have a new baby) and these are some great activities to help teach her! Thanks!

Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas said...

such great activities for talking about emotions. They can be hard for kids to express verbally.

Thanks for linking your idea to the Sunday Showcase last week. Hope to see you this week!

Bern
http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

Post a Comment

Muchas gracias! Pinky-ou for leaving a comment! It sure makes our day...

Template by:
Free Blog Templates