Here is what we have been doing in our new home….not just unpacking! It was a fun unit with lots of great activities to do. Oh yeah, sometimes mommy gets a little bit excited and wants to try everything she finds online or imagine. However, after almost 2 weeks with the same theme we just have to save for the next round! (We don’t do “school” everyday….we HAVE to play and go shopping...lol!)
Language:
Our Homemade- Parts of a bird puzzle- made of felt! I draw the bird on cardstock paper and Pinky colored each part. I just saved them (you can see the horse puzzle for our on-going farm theme) on a folder. Cheap and take less space! You can print out them at Montessori N' Such for free! (I was so lazy that preferred to draw them myself and don't have to connect the printer)
3 part cards- Parts of a bird (Sorry, I don’t remember from where are these!)
Update (Feb 2012): These cards are from Montessori Helper.
Plus these great activity (from Learning center world) where I read the statement and she just have to listen carefully in order to pick up the correct answer. I tried to turned into kind of Montessori by letting Pinky to use paper clips. (It was a little challenging at the beginning but she got it! And mommy got her proudly face on a pic!)
English/Spanish bird matching cards- I found these beautiful birds at a dollar store a few months ago (4/$1.00) and couldn’t help myself. So, I prepared these cards for a matching activity. Ok, it wasn’t a hit with Pinky! Also, she didn’t pay to much attention to them as a free play toy as she does with her farm or wild animals. (Maybe, those moments when she sees a real bird and shout: shoo, shoo birdie, go away!!! are saying something,,,lol) Maybe later??Our homemade Beginning sound boxes are still an A plus!
Alphabet puzzle- practicing phonics. She loves to play “I spy”. We play saying: I spy a letter that says (letter sound)…and then she puts it on its place.
Sensorial-
Building a nest on the playground with pine tree leaves. The pinecone is mama bird and the rocks are her eggs. She had lots of fun! I love her concentration, plus the real birdies may have a new home!!
Tonging-
Egg carton and flamingoes from our Hawaii unit! Actually, Montessori Print Shop has a freebie of Flamingo 3-Part cards…I am saving them for our next round!
Tangrams-
Building an egg plus six different birds. It’s from Mathsticks.com! You need to open a free account.
Math-
We practiced some shapes pasting them on our book plus we counted birdies. Shape books from Time for tots. The bird counting cards are from the Birds unit from 1+1+1=1 and/or Homeschool creations.
Pre-writing-
Pinky’s getting better at making lines and after that, erasing them! Love those little hands at work!
Mix and Match Patterns with Plastic Eggs-
I don’t have any pic of this activity but I found it at Fun & Engaging Activities for Toddlers. I just grabbed 5 eggs from our Easter unit, mixed them, draw ovals on some index cards and colored. Easy!
We did more activities but I don’t have pictures since we were having too much fun. We did some lacing, more puzzles, lots of real practical life and pool, water park and playground fun!
Furthermore, if you are interested about some matching birds activities printables here are some great ones:
- Sunflower schoolhouse- Match the birds cards
- Sunflower schoolhouse- Bird color matching
- Montessori Print Shop- Free bird match up and memory game
Linking to:
Take care and have a great week or month? (Ops, I am sooo lazy to post! lol)




















9 comments:
What a wonderful pack of activities !!!! You inspired me to do my homemade puzzle set. Love the Pinki concentrated face during her work time ;-) She is growing so fast into a real beauty ;-)
Lots of kisses:-)
Ewa
Fabulous activities! Thanks for inspiration :-)
What a great bird unit! I love the way you turned printables into hands-on activities, making them more engaging activities and a help for eye-hand coordination! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow. Thanks so much for linking up at Montessori Monday!
Love your bird unit! Inspiring! I am saving these ideas for our bird unit later in the year, thanks!
Great everything and really love the matching bird pictures to tiny statues work! Glad you found my blog, too!
A great post and a very useful blog - many thanks for mentioning mathsticks.com
I absolutely love all your bird themed learning ideas! I featured your post in my Bird Unit Study article. If you want to check it out, here's the link: http://mymontessorimoments.com/2012/02/20/bird-unit-study/
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your ideas with us.
Would you happen to remember the brand name of the bird figurines? I am looking for something similar. Thank you.
Hi Rl! I am so sorry but I bought those birds figurines ona local dollar store back in New Jersey. However, Safari LTD have a bird toob and you can find it on Amazon. Here is the link is you want to check them: http://www.amazon.com/Safari-LTD-Exotic-Birds-Toob/dp/B000GZED7K/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1357183782&sr=1-1&keywords=safari+ltd+birds
I made our own cards to match the birds figurines. Hope this could help. Thanks for your comment!
Post a Comment
Muchas gracias! Pinky-ou for leaving a comment! It sure makes our day...