Wednesday, April 11, 2012

At the pond (2)

Here we are with more pond-related fun. This was such a great unit. There are many resources available  and ideas all over the internet. I tried to include a little bit of everything but mostly Montessori-inspired activities.

Practical life

Marlee-44-45-mo-005_thumb

Marlee 44-45 mo 062Marlee 44-45 mo 065Marlee 44-45 mo 066

Pouring water (this is the first time I set up on a tray this activity for Pinky. She is used to pour water while she helps me to cook, take a bath, or serve her own drinks. The outcome: She mastered, it was kind of easy for her, but fun. It was her favorite tray (you know: WATER!), repeating it multiple times. Self-explanatory (she loved to clean up the spills with the sponge) and independent.

Marlee-44-45-mo-013_thumb

Marlee 44-45 mo 138Marlee 44-45 mo 142Marlee 44-45 mo 144

Sharpening a pencil with a cute turtle sharpener from Target. She got really good at this one. Great concentration!

Marlee-44-45-mo-009_thumb

Marlee 44-45 mo 078Marlee 44-45 mo 072

Scooping duck balls (and yellow pom-poms). Not a fav one. She did it twice, maybe.

Marlee-44-45-mo-008_thumb

Marlee 44-45 mo 084Marlee 44-45 mo 086

Tweezing spiders (feeding the frog). I saw this idea featured at Living Montessori Now Leap Year activities post from The Preschool Experiment (she has such a great Pond unit post). This is an empty parmesan cheese container. I glued two green pom-poms, two googly eyes and a piece of red felt.

Motor

Marlee-44-45-mo-011_thumb

Pin pouching a duck silhouette. She loved it!!! Did the whole thing right away. I am thinking about using the duck for an art project.

Marlee-44-45-mo-012_thumb

Marlee 44-45 mo 127Marlee 44-45 mo 129

Foam stickers for pincer grasp. This was a Math activity,too. She made her own patterns. Pinky is REALLY REALLY good at patterning. She can differentiate patterns taking into consideration their shape or color.

 

Marlee-44-45-mo-010_thumb

Marlee-44-45-mo-164_thumb

More stickers. I got this one last year, on sale aster Easter. I am never wrong with stickers!!!

 

Math

Marlee-44-45-mo-002_thumb

Counting lily pads (water beads) up the way ‘till 100. I got this idea from Starry Sky Ranch blog here. Of course, our mat was not that cute because I got a $1.00 bath tub mat at the dollar store which only had 8 rows on one of the sides, so I had to cut and paste pieces in order to get a 10 x 10 mat. Also, I had to paint the cups so she wouldn’t get confuse. Now you now: Make sure to get a bigger mat!!! Otherwise, we just used to practice our numbers and some pincer grasp. She loved it! So bad I didn’t get photos!   

Marlee-44-45-mo-206_thumb

Math game. I found this idea after reading this great Pond unit post. There you can find the link to the picture if you scroll all the way until the end…..believe me this is a HUGE all about frogs unit. I printed 2 copies and glued them on cardstock. Then, add two chips (we used 2 heart-shaped beads) and a dice. One player roll the dice, count how many dots she got and move the chip that many spaces starting at one corner (count how many dragonflies your froggy can eat). The first player to hop all the way until completing the square, wins! This was a hit with Pinky since she LOVES board games.

Marlee-44-45-mo-015_thumb

Sizes. Group by Large, Medium, Small. She wasn’t interested about this one. Maybe too easy for her.

I think this is everything for now! I still have lots of more stuff to post.

Marlee 44-45 mo 254

Can you guess the place????

Yes, you are right….The Pond!!! I’ll share more pics later! We had a fabulous time!

4 comments:

Deb Chitwood said...

LOVE your activities! Scooping the duck balls is wonderful, and your feeding the frog activity turned out great! Thanks for linking to my post! Deb @ LivingMontessoriNow.com

Anonymous said...

this was a great post will love to used some of these ideas in the classroom GREAT!

Unknown said...

Great idea! pinned the frog and spiders one!

Melissa Solomon said...

You've been featured on the "Pond" Theme page over at Daycare Spaces and Ideas​

Post a Comment

Muchas gracias! Pinky-ou for leaving a comment! It sure makes our day...

Template by:
Free Blog Templates