We were getting so tired of all those snow storms here in the east part of the US, so we decided to just relax and have some fun learning with all that snow out there. Everything started as a painting activity and maybe some indoor snowmen, but we were so interested about how salt can change the state of matter of snow from solid to liquid. The easy way for my toddler to understand out little experiment was: “Lets see what happen to snow if we put some salt over it”….of course for my sister and I, which grow up on a very warm and beautiful island, our experiment was more like: “We have different kind of salt, so which one would change the state faster?”
Therefore, here is our Don’t get bored experiment:
1- Send the only one who was able to walk and don’t get distracted outside to pick up some snow.
(They only difficulty was that she couldn’t open the back door with all those thing on hand plus she didn’t know how to turn the key…too funny! I almost had to go down stairs to open the door for her.)
Experiment table set up:
1- Iodized salt
2- Kosher salt
3- Outside salt (found it on the street)
4- Cooking sea salt
We described what we were doing and how was the snow….
After 10 mins. Pinky checking the advances!
After 10 minutes!
Pinky doing her checking after 20 minutes!
As you can see after 20 minutes there wasn’t too much left….We result the fastest one was sea salt….(we tried to put the exact amount of each salt on each snow bowl…1 tbsp.)
Our goal: As you can see, Pinky was so amazed that instead of snow now there was “agua”- water!…
Great learning time!




















3 comments:
I wonder if you left one without any salt if it would have melted more slowly than the others? I am going to have to give this a try - I love all the different types of salt! But I am ready for the snow to go away!!
Hi Deborah! Thanks so much for the comment...now that you gave me the idea, I realized I didn't have a control one without salt...that is going for the next time...maybe next year? lol....I hope we don't have anymore snow for now....even that my toddler would love the opposite...About the salt, I can tell you she was having fun looking for all the bottle of salt and we talk about the differents and similarity between them...a simple experiment but with lots of possibilities! Take care!
Hi! Just wanted to thank you for the follow back and tell you I love your blog too! It's very inspirational and I adore great ideas like this! You have a noreply listed as your return email address so I couldn't respond to your comment which was emailed to me. So I came here to thank you! Stop by again soon!
xoxoxo
Chana
mammatown
Post a Comment
Muchas gracias! Pinky-ou for leaving a comment! It sure makes our day...